Going through divorce can be difficult, no matter the circumstances. Eckert Legal understands this and always works towards the best possible end result. See below for our affordable divorce services. 

Our Divorce Services

Requirements for obtaining a divorce

The court has power to grant a divorce if either party has one of the following characteristics:

  • Regards Australia as home and intends to live in Australia indefinitely; or
  • Is an Australian citizen by birth, descent or by grant of Australian citizenship; or
  • Has lived in Australia for a minimum of 12 months, or has done so directly before filing for divorce.

The court must be satisfied, based on all evidence that has been submitted, that the relationship has broken down irretrievably and that the parties have been separated for a minimum of 12 months prior to filing for divorce.

A couple may live together under one roof but in these circumstances need to prove that they are not living as husband and wife.

Service and notice

If you are in a situation where you are unable to locate or contact your spouse to serve them with an application for divorce, there are other options available. You may make an application to dispense with service or an application for substituted service. In response, the court may make those orders, by virtue of your efforts to serve the application in circumstances where your spouse is aware of the divorce hearing or deem that your spouse is aware of the application.

In making those orders, a court will take into consideration whether you have taken adequate steps to locate your spouse. These requirements may change depending on your situation. Since these requirements vary from case to case, it is advised to seek assistance in order to satisfy the court.

How to file an application?

When applying for a divorce, the application must be completed, sworn and filed with the Federal Circuit Court. The hearing date for when the divorce application is given, is generally two months after the date of filing. The other party must be served with the application at least 28 days before it is to be heard, or in circumstances where the other party is overseas, 42 days.

When filing a divorce application in Australia, the application must be filed with the Federal Circuit Court along with a filing fee and heard at first instance by a Registrar of that Court. In order for the Registrar to grant a divorce, the requirements of the Family Law Act (as outlined above) must have been met.


A Decree of Nullity means that the parties have never been married and that the marriage did not exist in the eyes of the law. The Family Court is the only court which has the jurisdiction to make such a declaration. The following circumstances deem a marriage void:

  • Either one of the parties was married to someone else at the time of the marriage.
  • The parties are in a prohibited relationship, meaning that a party is intending on marrying their grandparent, parent, sibling or half-sibling.
  • The formal requirements as by the Family Law Act have not been satisfied and correctly followed.
  • The consent of either of the parties is not true consent such as:
    • The consent was obtained by duress or fraud;
    • Either party mistakenly identified the other party or the nature of the ceremony;
    • Either party is mentally incapable of turning their mind to the nature and effect of a marriage ceremony;
    • Either party is not of a marriageable age.

As neither party has been married, the parties can revert to the status of ‘never validly married’. 

Other Practice Areas 

Family Law

We offer comprehensive family law services that ensure the best possible outcome while looking after you, your property, and your children.

Parent Orderings

Eckert Legal always handles family law matters with the upmost integrity and understanding, including court ordered parenting arrangements.

Property Settlements

Our expertise in property settlement ensures you will have a fair and even outcome while protecting your interests.

Put You & Your Family in Good Hands

Get In Touch

Get in touch with us via the form below or visit our Contact Us page for further details